2021 Summer Intensive
Time & Location
About the Event
Dear Performing Arts Student,
Registration for the KJPAS 2021 Summer Intensive is now open! The students have spoken, and I have listened! Our showcase theme will be Broadway: Heroes and Villains! Get ready to stage and perform blockbuster numbers from the most heroic and villainous musicals to ever grace the Broadway stage! Read on for all of the Intensive details!
If we have broken the curve of Covid-19 by the end of June, I will be delighted to announce that our summer intensive will run "as normal" with pre-Covid protocols! However, If we are still recording high numbers of Covid-19 cases in June, I want to assure you that KJPAS will continue to employ extraordinary standards when it comes to keeping our students safe and healthy. In this Covid-19 scenario, here are just a few things that KJPAS will be doing to keep everyone safe:
- We will request that all students do their very best to self-isolate in the two weeks leading up to our summer intensive week and arrive at the intensive with proof of a negative Covid test taken within the previous 72 hours.
- All temperatures will be checked upon arrival, and again each morning prior to breakfast.
- Hand sanitizer will be liberally dispersed throughout the day, and students will thoroughly wash their hands prior to each meal.
- Facemasks will be worn in all non-singing activities, and to go through the meal lines.
- All activities and choreography will be non-contact.
- Students will be spaced at least 6’ apart during all camp activities and when they are seated in the theater.
- Only 4 students will be seated per large round table in the dining hall.
- We will once again be upgraded to the hotel lodging at the 4H Conference Center. Just 2 students per extra-large hotel room, with an en-suite bathroom.
- All common areas, bathrooms (both common space and hotel room), and door handles will be sanitized daily by the 4H Conference Center housekeeping staff.
Again, all of the above will be contingent upon the current Covid situation in the USA at the end of June.
Wondering if our program is right for you? Check out the wrap-up videos below from our 2020 Summer Intensive and our 2019 (pre-Covid) Intensive. If a photo says a thousand words, then our promo videos will surely convince you that KJPAS is the place to be!
KJPAS employs a professional faculty of performers, many who have multiple Broadway and national touring credits, as well as film and television credits. If you are looking for a well-rounded, professional training program, look no further!
KJPAS Summer Intensive 2021 will take place from 4pm, Sunday, June 27th thru 12pm Saturday, July 3rd. The showcase performance will begin at 11am on Saturday, July 3rd. We will once again be running our Intensive out of the Smith Mountain Lake 4-H Conference Center, right on the shore of beautiful Smith Mountain Lake, Virginia.
Students will be housed in the Reid Jones Jr. hotel-style lodging (two campers per room with ensuite bathroom -see photos above!). Each room has control of its own central air-conditioning unit. The lodge is located directly across from the Central Activities Building which houses our indoor rehearsal and performance space, as well as the dining hall. Three delicous meals and plenty of snacks will be provided each day. KJPAS proudly caters to all dietary restrictions.
Your day will be broken down into vocal, dance and acting rehearsals for the big showcase performance, and a plethora of professional theater workshops including: Headshot/Resume/Bio (every student will go home with a professional headshot, resume and bio); How To Survive a Dance Call; Acting for Film and Television; Character Development; Technical Theater; Mental Health Wellness for the Actor; Diversity in the Theater, and many more!
In addition to the theater training aspect of our week-long intensive, we also offer "camp" electives including canoing/kayaking, swimming, archery, rock wall climbing, mini-golf, and much more. Evening activities include A Night at the Improv., the KJPAS Big Game Night, the KJPAS "Search for the missing Tony Awards" scavenger hunt, a Broadway movie night, and other themed activities.
Tuition includes housing, all meals and snacks, an Intensive t-shirt, a professional headshot and resume, a link to download the showcase performance, and of course, the professional training and performance that you have come to expect from KJPAS!
KJPAS Summer Intensive is open to rising 5th thru graduating 12th graders. Summer Intensive Tuition: $725 submitted on or before April 30; $800 May 1st or later. (Please note, all credit card and PayPal processing fees are now included in your tuition!).